Pros & Cons of PHP Programming
Commonly known as PHP, Hypertext Preprocessor is a programming language that is open source and easy to implement. Despite some differing views on the subject, it is a very simple programming tool that web developers can use to their advantage in creating functional and highly interactive websites. Today we are going to examine some of the advantages and disadvantages of php programming.
What makes PHP a popular programming tool?
PHP is widely used by web designers to create websites that have some aesthetic value and are very functional too. It has many advantages, like:
- Encourages creativity – Being a simple coding language it gives developers the freedom and flexibility to innovate and implement different objects into the code. The website can have greater user-interaction. For example, it makes major tasks like adding to cart, form filling, online purchasing smoother and quicker because of its simpler design.
- Copyright – Being an open source language, programmers and developers do not have to deal with legal issues and copyright infringement. Also, developers have no restrictions in improving any bits of the coding language itself. They have the freedom to contribute their own knowledge to improve its coding tools.
- Content based – A website created with HTML is static, which means the components are not changing constantly. Any change has to be reprogrammed and embedded into the code. Factors like changing date and time, information filled in by users, etc. keep changing with every subsequent login. PHP allows dynamic programming so that these factors can be embedded into the code.
- Browser compatibility – Since websites created with PHP load on the server, the sites will load equally well on all the different browsers and operating systems. Runtime errors are almost non-existent. Loading time of the pages on different browsers will not prove to be a problem either. The sheer simplicity of the coding structure makes it very easy to implement complicated functions that will work efficiently with a few command lines.
- Database compatibility – It works really well with MySQL, making data input a smooth and simple matter. Any changes to the code can be very easily incorporated without affecting the database structure.
Limitations of web solutions with PHP programming
Because the coding language is so simple, when ultra dynamic elements are required on a website, it may require an alternative coding language. Also, if the website development project is very big and has too many elements it will require developers with a lot of experience. To put it in a nutshell, big tasks have to be executed with simple tools and will require a pro to handle them.
Also, it is not very effective where the website requires Virtual Basic capabilities. Using PHP in such a situation would complicate the issue and require highly skilled programmers with long-standing experience to make it work. When the website requires animation and Flash based effects, PHP is definitely not a sensible choice for web designing. The capabilities of the coding language are limited in this field as compared to other more advanced programming source codes.
To sum up one can safely say that when you want a basic but attractive website that focuses more in functionality than dynamic display, PHP Programming will do perfectly and cost less.
This guest post has been brought to you by Robin Mckenzie of Buycenturylink, a site that offers savings and current information on consumers’ broadband internet and cable. Click here to experience top-speed internet, excellent value, and award-winning security.